Sunday 2 July 2017

Making Harry Potter's Butterbeer Fudge!

I found a recipe some time ago on the internet via a Facebook link for Harry Potter's Butterbeer Fudge...and it looked pretty awesome.

You can find the recipe here:  https://www.cookiedoughandovenmitt.com/harry-potters-butterbeer-fudge/

I have always been careful when it comes to fudge recipes, simply because so much can go wrong and I have really had epic inedible disasters that have left me with nothing but having to scrub pots.

This recipe however looked quite simple so I printed it out and decided to give it a try.

So came my first challenge of finding the ingredients...marshmallow fluff?  I had never even heard of it!  Rum extract and imitation butter extract?  Hmmm...I am sure I could find those at a reputable bakers shop.  However, I don't particularly enjoy shopping or driving around looking for things so I turned to the internet once again and started searching. After making a few enquiries and going back and forth between baking shop websites I finally found all the ingredients I was looking for...only to be told that the marshmallow fluff was out of stock.  I requested an order to be put in and waited patiently.  Two weeks later a box arrived and I was ready to cook up some fudge!

Since we use the metric system I converted the necessary ingredients from oz to grams, prepared my pan with tin foil and set to work measuring and adding the ingredients.

The marshmallow fluff was super sticky and I made a royal mess spooning it out of the tub.  Everything was full of it; the spoon handle, the counter, my fingers,  the knife I used to try and scrape the stuff off the spoon, my sleeves, and I later discovered some under my shoe which was why it kept sticking to the kitchen floor.

For the packed brown sugar I used Treacle sugar (I assumed it was more or less the same thing) and it worked perfectly.

The ingredients blended together nicely,  and I kept stirring the whole time as the recipe instructed over a medium heat.  After about 10 minutes it came to a nice rolling boil and I let it to go for the recommended 5 minutes.

I removed it from the heat, added the extracts and caramel chips, stirred it and it was a beautiful even caramel colour! It is best to wait until it has cooled sufficiently before cutting it in squares, otherwise it sticks to the knife.  Once set it has a lovely soft and creamy texture.



I only have one criticism.  I understand that Butterbeer is a low alcoholic drink and therefore should have a somewhat alcoholic taste, but I did not enjoy the taste that came from adding the rum extract.  It adds a plastic-like alcoholic taste that I don't think will be missed if left out.  My kids love the fudge though so I suppose it is all a personal preference.  Here I have to state the obvious; there is 0% alcohol in the rum extract, so though it tastes like it has alcohol it is completely alcohol free.

But all in all a great success and I would definitely recommend this to any amateur fudgeaneer.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment